Saturday, March 15, 2008

Craniosynostosis

Craniosynostosis is the premature fusing of one or more plates in the skull. Leah has right coronal cranio. The coronal suture (area between the 2 plates that should be open) runs from ear to ear at the front of the head. Leah's right suture is closed/fused together which caused the forehead above her left eye to bulge out. The right side of her forehead (where the suture is fused) is flat and kind of dented in.

This also caused her left eye socket to be smaller than her right and her nose is slightly crooked. Though her deformity is noticeable in this photo taken at 7 wks 4 days, cranio is especially noticeable from a bird's eye view.


For more information on craniosynostosis click here

In the upcoming posts I will be sharing about Leah's 3D cat scan as well as photos from it, information about Leah's upcoming surgery, recent pictures of Leah and other updates. We hope you'll continue to visit Leah's blog!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

these pictures look exactly like my daughter! she's 2 months old & i have finally been able to convince her doctor that there's a problem - she seemed to think it would just correct itself. so now we're waiting on an appointment with an orthotics doctor. i'm sure you're busy but if you have some time could you please email me & tell me EVERYTHING??? ok, at least some key things you think i should know? i thought this could be fixed with a helmet but the more i read it seems like she may need surgery. i would really love any information you could give me. thanks!
-heather
heatherific@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

my sister gave me an article she came across on the irregular shapes of babies heads, and when to worry. i typed in this strange word i read....craniosynostosis, and clicked on images. your daughter's photo came up and made me sob. it could have been a bird's eye view picture of my own little boy. i called his pediatrician that night on his cell and told him this is what my son has. your daughter's photo confirmed my feelings that my son's shape head wouldn't just "fix itself" as the pediatrician said. your site got the ball rolling for me. nicholas will be having surgery at NYU in about 4 months.
hope all is well with your little girl. God bless.
danielle v.

Anonymous said...

This looks just like my daughter too - we have a CT scan next week, and planning for surgery when she is 8.5 months old. Thank you for sharing, I would love to see more pictures of her after surgery. Andrea - Portland, OR