Saturday, March 22, 2008

Leah's Surgery

For more specific information on Leah's surgery click here and here.

These are the two main craniofacial teams that specialize in the exact endoscopic method of surgery that Leah will be having. One of these teams will be performing Leah's surgery. In most endoscopic cranio surgeries the surgeons just go in and release the suture by removing a strip of the skull and then the patient is in the helmet for 12-18 months.

In Leah's surgery they will be "reconstructing" her skull shape while in there and this will give immediate results in the shape of her head and shorten the time in the helmet. This is the traditional "CVR" surgery (cranial vault reconstruction) but done the with an endoscope in a "minimally-invasive" fashion.

We feel so blessed that our pediatrician caught this early enough to qualify for the endoscopic method. If a baby is over 4 months of age they have to perform the traditional method of surgery. In this method they have to make an ear to ear incision and actually remove the skull plates they are working on, reshape them and put them back.

3 comments:

Uncle Mike said...

Denise,

This isn't so much about your entry for March 22nd as it is in regards to the whole blog in general. Very impressive. I know you guys are probably getting stressed but will be able to sigh in 3 weeks or so. I can't wait to meet Leah! Maybe at the beach in July? We'll talk soon.

I just wanted to thank you for keeping us all so well informed with this great blog.

Love,
Uncle Mike

Unknown said...

You probably do not know me but I got this email from Jen pike. I used to go to MOPS when I lived in FL (I recognize your pic)My son had metopic Craniosynstenosis and had surgery when he was 10 months old (he had to have the more invasive surgery that you talked about) He is now 3 and doing awesome...You would never know except for the scar from ear to ear(his hair covers it) I would love to talk with you! I will be praying for you!
Tammy Bassoff

Tara O said...

She is absolutely beautiful! I will be praying. Fellow weaver mom-Tara