Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Day 1 Post-Op

Thank you everyone for your love and prayers!! It has been SO nice reading your comments on Leah's blog. I have not been able to log into my email account like I normally can and I'm not sure what the issue is. So it has been a blessing and comfort to us to know you all are thinking and praying for us!

We had an amazing night last night!! Leah slept so peacefully even though the nurses were in here checking on her every hour. She is eating regularly (breastmilk from bottle) and keeping it down. She has been sleeping a lot today also. They heplocked her IVs (she has 2...one in her arm and one in her foot). Her catheter came out this morning so we are changing diapers again. We also did some incision care today. As each line comes out we are one step closer to going home.

Her surgeons came by this morning to check on her. Her vitals are good, her blood counts normal and the surgeons and nurses are VERY pleased with Leah's recovery so far. She is probably well enough to move out of picu, but our surgeon said as long as they don't need this room we will probably get to stay here again tonight. It would be nice if that were the case because I had a good nights sleep here last night...the first one in a long time. The nurse was quiet when she came in every hour and even did Leah's feeding while I slept. I didn't even hear her! So I had the first 5 hour stretch of sleep since before she was born. I am usually up with her about once a night. I hear it is best to get a good sleep the first night as tonight she may be much more awake.

We will be able to hold Leah today. Actually they were encouraging us to hold her yesterday but I really didn't want her jostled about. She knows we are here...hears our voices and feels our touch....but I know right now the best thing for her is to sleep and be comfortable. That way she won't feel as much pain.

Her surgeon ordered a cat scan to serve as a baseline. This will help for the months come as she is wearing her helmet. They will have a comparison. Her head already looks great...like a normal forehead but she IS swelling today. Her right eye more swollen than her left and may be almost closed. I have heard the swelling gets worse 2 days post op so it will be interesting to see her tonight and tomorrow. I will post pictures eventually but not sure if I will be able to get to that while we are still here. Leah will start to be more awake and active in these next few days.

Again...THANK YOU!!! We are so grateful to have such caring friends and family. Your prayers have been felt and we are experiencing abundant blessings from God as this week unfolds!

7 comments:

weavermom said...

Yay for good sleep! For me at least this makes everything easier! Praying you get at least one more night there. :)

Jeanie said...

Denise

I am so happy to hear that you and Leah got some good rest last night. I am so glad this is over for you both.
May God continue to bless you!
Jean Mandel
Aaron's nanny

Anonymous said...

Sounds like things couldn't be going better for Leah. Praise God for his good work!

Take care of each other ~ Robin

Anonymous said...

Great news!!!

Anonymous said...

Sweet Denise and your lovely family. Just want you to know I am ever with you in thought and prayer. I look forward to holding Leah Mae again when we move down to be closer to you all! I know we each have at least one Angel, but Leah has more than one right now, I know because I sent mine for good measure. Love you, Denise.

Grandmama

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news! I'm so glad to hear your little girl is recovering well. What an answer to prayer! --Amanda from Homebodies

Anonymous said...

My prayers are with you. We serve an awesome God!!

Georgina